Collingwood is going to beat GWS. I hate saying it because I want GWS to win – I’m a fan and that would be SUCH great upset – but let’s face facts. The younger guys are tired. They had a rough time against Freo last week, even though they played really well, and Collingwood fans are sure to dominate the stands. Which is why, when I turn on the game at 4:40 pm tomorrow, at SKODA, I won’t be watching to see who wins. I’ll be watching for the following reasons:
1. Everyday Australian Heroes – I’m not really into all these events the AFL is putting on. It feels like they have one every. Single. Freakin’. Round. But this one is on a much smaller scale so I can deal with it. This is a simple recognition of 18 “everyday Australian heroes who have helped build the nation.” I have no clue who they plan on recognizing or what even qualifies as ‘building the nation’, but they get a parade and a special guernsey. I’ve gotta see this.
2. Travis Cloke – The nonsense surrounding Travis Cloke’s contract is just… well, nonsense. EVERY team wants him and he doesn’t seem to know his ass from his elbow when it comes to making a decision (I love you, Travis darling, but at least give us a HINT as to which club you’re leaning towards!). GWS has recently decided Cloke would make a good addition to their club and they’re stoked that Collingwood is bringing Cloke to them. If he plays well, it could spice up contract negotiations even more!
3. Graeme Allan is a former Magpie – Graeme Allan (who has yet to return my email, just sayin’) played for Collingwood for years and then worked with them for even longer. So the history is there. It sounds like even he knows they won’t win – never say never! – but it’s gotta be hard playing against the team you love! I’ll be looking for him in the stands to see signs of where his heart truly lies.
4. AFL Prediction – The AFL is predicting Collingwood wins by 99 points. I love this prediction because it feels like they’re saying, ‘We know they’re gonna kick your ass, but we look like assholes with no faith in our expansion team if we say they’ll win by 100 points.’ Maybe GWS will get angry about it and win. Here’s hoping.
5. The NAB Rising Star Nominees – GWS has 5 (FIVE!) Rising Star noms, four of whom will be playing in Saturday’s match. Dylan Sheil will still be out because of his sprained foot. Watching 4 Rising Star Noms is cool. More so when they play against a powerhouse like Collingwood. Even more so when two of them are just back from injury (Jeremy Cameron and Stephen Coniglio, both with back soreness). And even MORE so when a third, Toby Greene, is in the top 25 of most touches per game in the AFL. Never mind the score. I’ll be watching the young boys.
And the best reason of all…
6. Dane Swan – I’m sorry. But I’m a female and I love him. What more can I say?