My boyfriend officially won the ‘Boyfriend Of The Year’ award (it’s a very prestigious and it doesn’t matter that he was the only competitor) when he bought tickets to this Friday’s game, Sydney Swans v. Collingwood Magpies, 7:30 pm at ANZ Stadium. Whooooooo! I haven’t been to ANZ Stadium for a game before (at least… I don’t think I have?) and I am pumped that I get to see the Swans play in the finals!
[NOTE: I know that this week has been more about AFL than anything and I’m sorry… but it’s finals time. You know how it goes…]
Now, I don’t like to do game predictions. You can get that off the AFL Website. But I do like to tell you why you should be jealous. So without further ado… here are the things I am most (and least) excited for this Friday:
I’m not looking forward to…
1.The game being against Collingwood. Everyone knows the Swans haven’t beat Collingwood in 7 freakin’ years! It’s not exactly a good feeling going into this game. I do have to say, as an economist (and previous employee of Women & Financial Independence) that PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT INDICATIVE OF FUTURE PERFORMANCE.
2. Fighting with my friend. I have a friend (Hi Jules!). He likes Collingwood. He’s also a sore winner (and a rather unpleasant loser, now that I think of it) and although we are not sitting together at the game – I, of course, will be in the Swans section while he’ll be in the not-as-good Magpies section – afterwards, when we see each other, well, I’m sure no good can come of it.
3. Collingwood having more All-Australians. Collingwood has three – two of which have been selected several times before – and the Swans have two – neither of which has been selected before. I know that it doesn’t mean a LOT, but c’mon… it means something. Oh, and Ben McGlynn is out. It’s not like Adam Goodes is missing, but I’m never happy about injuries.
4. Dane Swan playing. Collingwood beat us last time without him and, in my opinion, he’s the glue that holds the team together. I mean, not really, but the guy is all over that field like white on rice. He reminds me of Nightcrawler from X-Men – disappear and reappear as needed.
But I’m really stoked about…
1. The game being against Collingwood. I know I’m not happy that we’re up against a team we haven’t beaten in 7 years, but that makes for one great game. There will be nail biting and screaming and I think I might even throw something. It’ll make the win even sweeter (that’s positive affirmations, right there). Plus, I get to add Collingwood to the list of teams I’ve seen play! So far I’ve got: Swans, GWS, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs, Geelong and North Melbourne.
2. Jude Bolton’s 300th game. Not a bad time to join the 300 club. And Kevin Sheedy will be around… hopefully?
3. Getting to be with my boy when he sees his first ever AFL play-off game. Cue the cheesy music. I saw one at the MCG in 2009… but he’s never seen one. I’m glad I get to be there for his first (hopefully of many!).
4. Dane Swan playing. As if I hadn’t made it clear already… I adore Dane Swan. I know it’s blasphemous, but I just do. He was the first AFL player I ever knew about so he has a special place in my heart. Jeremy Cameron has a bigger place and the Swans have an even bigger one, still. But I still can’t wait.
And, as always…