Alas, t’is Spring. I have been waiting for this day for… forever, it seems. I left the house this morning at 7:30 and I couldn’t see my breath. That’s the first time that has happened in a long time. What does this mean? BASKETBALL SEASON. It’s no secret that basketball is my favorite sport (sorry AFL, but I bleed the green and white of the Boston Celtics) and this season, I’m lucky enough to get to volunteer with the Wollongong Hawks. YES.
Tonight is their home opener with tip-off at 7:30 pm and you should come. Just come. It’ll be great. Here’s why.
1. They’ve got tons of cool, new stuff. Now, I can’t go into too much detail (otherwise you won’t go!) but they’ve totally revamped the game day experience and we all know how I feel about a good game day experience. I didn’t get to go to any games last season, unfortunately, but now that they’ve upped the ante, I’m pretty excited to see it all come together. You should be too.
2. The team is solid. The New Zealand Breakers have been the champs for the past two years… which is so uncool (at least, I think so – c’mon Aussies! You’re better than that! Bring that championship back home!). But at the preseason tournament, the Perth Wildcats (the 2010 championship team) came in first with the Hawks as the runner-up. Not a bad deal for a team that’s only won one championship. Would it be a jinx to say this could be there year? You don’t want to miss that.
3. Tyson Demos. While he might not be my type, I hear he’s all the rage with the 20-something ladies. Plus, with basketball, you get a closer look at the players than you do on the AFL field… or the baseball diamond… or the cricket pitch… or the hockey rink… you get the idea. Basketball is perfect if you want to feel like you’re in the game.
4. It’s one of the cheapest entertainment options. Honestly. And it’s great value for money. Tickets start at $15 for two hours of entertainment. That’s the price of two drinks at the bar, which doesn’t take two hours. Or one movie ticket – and who goes to movie without buying the $47 popcorn (I know that’s an exaggeration, but seriously, those movie concessions are just ridiculous)? That’s a great time. Plus you can get membership deals and family prices and, of course, the discount for seniors and concession. What more do you people want?!
5. I’ll be there. Look for me. I’ll be wearing a volunteer shirt and black jeans. The tell-tale sign will be my accent. C’mon – you know you’re just a little curious as to what I’ll be doing.
And did I mention that the game is against the Sydney Kings? Yea – it’s a pretty good rivalry, if I do say so myself. That probably should have been reason number five, but what can I say? I want you all to come see me.